[Freeipa-users] AD Primary Groups are ignored in FreeIPA?

Simpson Lachlan Lachlan.Simpson at petermac.org
Tue May 17 01:39:22 UTC 2016

Martin,

Thanks for your response. This doesn't quite fit our issues. This is explicitly about *private* groups in NIX (where adding new user creates GID==UID and enrols that user).

Our problem is explicitly a *Primary Groups in AD* problem. Users that exist in AD have a primary group (traditionally "Domain Users") which we are using for other reasons (access control based on groups to files that are mounted on both AD and NIX servers).

In FreeIPA ( ipa-server-4.2.0-15.0.1.el7.centos.6.1.x86_64 on fully up to date Centos 7.2), after joining the AD (domain.org) in a one way trust as a subdomain (unix.domain.org), when we query AD, it explicitly ignores AD based Primary Groups - membership and overrides seem to fail.

Does that make sense?

I can see that it's vaguely related to the private group, but only in so much as it's the group that is assigned to the user (if you look in /etc/passwd on our pre-IPA system, our user data look like: lsimpson:x:1542:10007::/home/lsimpson:/bin/bash where 10007 is the id of the primary group in AD).

Obviously this data is no longer in /etc/passwd, but it doesn't seem to be able to be affected (via idoverrides).

Cheers
L.
This email (including any attachments or links) may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information and is
intended only to be read or used by the addressee.  If you
are not the intended addressee, any use, distribution,
disclosure or copying of this email is strictly
prohibited.
Confidentiality and legal privilege attached to this email
(including any attachments) are not waived or lost by
reason of its mistaken delivery to you.
If you have received this email in error, please delete it
and notify us immediately by telephone or email.  Peter
MacCallum Cancer Centre provides no guarantee that this
transmission is free of virus or that it has not been
intercepted or altered and will not be liable for any delay
in its receipt.