[Freeipa-users] Recovering from an IPA master server failure

Michael Rainey (Contractor) michael.rainey.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil
Fri May 27 21:11:04 UTC 2016

Greetings community,

I've run into an interesting problem which may be old hat to all of
you.  I was working to bring down my first IPA server and did it
improperly.  It was a rookie mistake, but I'm willing to view it as an
exercise in recovering from a massive master server failure.

The original master server is gone with no way of recovering and I have
managed to replace the master server with one of my replicas, but I find
myself in a situation where I cannot remove the original master server
from the directory.  It is still seen as a master server and the webUI
will not let me delete the system.  Is there a process somewhere that
will walk me through the process of demoting the server so I can delete
it from the directory?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

--
*Michael Rainey*