[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA4.2: Recovering from an IPA master server failure

Michael Rainey (Contractor) michael.rainey.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil
Tue May 31 15:36:52 UTC 2016

Greetings community,

I've run into an interesting problem which may be old hat to all of
you.  I was working to bring down my IPA master server and did it
improperly.  It was a rookie mistake, but I'm willing to view it as an
exercise in recovering from a massive system failure.

The original master server is gone with no way of recovering and I have
managed to replace the server by promoting one of my replicas, but I
find myself in a situation where I cannot remove the original master
server from the LDAP directory.  It is still seen as a master server and
the webUI will not let me delete the system from directory server.  Is
there a process somewhere that will walk me through demoting the old
server so I can delete it from the directory and officially promote its
replacement?

For reference, I followed the steps located at this link.

Centos 7.2 / freeIPA 4.2

Your help is greatly appreciated.

--
*Michael Rainey*