[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA + DHCP-LDAP - Fedora 24 - broken

Raul Dias raul at dias.com.br
Wed Nov 9 18:28:48 UTC 2016

> Do you mean that dhcpd on Ubuntu is configured against the very same FreeIPA
> server?
yes.  Testing both on VMs with a private network.
> Are you sure that dhcpd is using the same credentials to BIND to LDAP? There
> might be an access control issue if different hosts use different credentials
> or so. It would help if you described how you bound to LDAP using ldapsearch.
Yes.

To make sure, I using the ipa admin credentials.

On both hosts I can do a
     $ ldapsearch -x

and retrieve the ldif info.

running on both:
     $ strace -e trace=network dhcpd -d

I get this line on the Ubuntu host:
     socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 5
     setsockopt(5, SOL_SOCKET, SO_KEEPALIVE, [1], 4) = 0
     setsockopt(5, SOL_TCP, TCP_NODELAY, [1], 4) = 0
     connect(5, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(389),
sin_addr=inet_addr("192.168.1.138")}, 16) = 0

On the Fedora host (FreeIPA server), there is no try to connect to.
I thought that it might be trying to use a socket, but still no try even
with an outside IP as host.

There is one difference between Fedora and Ubuntu dhcpds.  On Ubuntu,
there is a separated ldap package to dhcp-server
(isc-dhcp-server-ldap).  On Fedora it is supposedly merged on the same
binary on dhcp-server (dhcp-server-4.3.4-3.fc24.x86_64).

That's why it would be a good start for me to know that someone else
uses dhcpd with ldap on Fedora.

-rsd