[Freeipa-users] Ping forwarded domain name.

Martin Basti mbasti at redhat.com
Tue Nov 22 15:22:59 UTC 2016

On 22.11.2016 13:57, TomK wrote:
> On 11/22/2016 2:59 AM, Martin Basti wrote:
>> Hey,
>>

>> On 22.11.2016 06:33, TomK wrote:
>>> Hey Guy's,
>>>
>>> I'm forwarding a domain dom.abc.xyz from a Windows Server 2012 over to
>>> my dual Free IPA server.  The Free IPA servers are authoritative for
>>> this subdomain.  The Windows Server 2012 DNS is resolves on abc.xyz
>>> and forwards dom.abc.xyz.
>> Do you have configured proper zone delegation for subdomain dom.abc.xyz?
>> Proper NS and glue records
>> http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch9/delegate.html
>>

>>> I cannot ping dom.abc.xyz.  Everything else, including client
>>> registrations, work fine.  If Free IPA is authoritative  on
>>> dom.abc.xyz, should it not create DNS entries so the sub domain can be
>>> pinged as well?
>>
>> What do you mean by "ping"?
>>

>>> /etc/resolv.conf also get's regenerated on reboot on the IPA Servers
>>> and wanted to ask if you can point me to some materials online to
>>> determine where can I permanently adjust the search to add dom.abc.xyz
>>> to the already present abc.xyz .  I wasn't able to locate what I
>>> needed in my searches.
>>>
>>> I'm using the latest v4.
>>
>> It depends on what are you using, probably you have NetworkManager there
>> that is editing /etc/resolv.conf
>>
>> https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/67752/how-do-i-add-a-search-domain-using-networkmanager/
>>

>> Martin
>

> I Uninstalled NetworkManager.  Still changes.
> ping dom.abc.com results in "ping: unknown host"
>
> I'll have a look at the first link, ty.

ping (ICMP protocol) and DNS system are different things, do you have
hostname dom.abc.com with A record or it is a zone?

with ping command hostname "dom.abc.com" is resolved to IP address
first, do you have A record set for dom.abc.com in zone apex or what are
you trying to achieve with ping command?

for testing DNS try to use commands: dig, host, nslookup

Martin