[Freeipa-users] This again :) - ssh authentication for users in complex AD forest - where am I going wrong?

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Nov 23 13:54:25 UTC 2016

100% correct. We are OK with losing GSSAPI authentication if we can
operate in a different DNS domain than
the IPA server that "glues" together all of our various Active Directory
trusts. We want password authentication
from Active Directory as our main concern with role-based access control
coming in as a strong second desire.

The Redhat/IPA documentation and links that Alexander posted below on
this are quite good and the issues on our end have generally come
from following more generic deployment instructions that don't cover the
different-DNS-domain situation.

The quality of technical insight on this list has been fantastic. If our
"different DNS" setup is of interest to
others I'd be happy to write up our architecture and configurations in
more detail once this project settles
down. At the very least I should be able to prepare a concise "lessons
learned" summary that details the
configuration settings that deviate from the norms advised in the more
general-purpose instructions.

Regards,
Chris