[Freeipa-users] OTP Algorithm

David Kupka dkupka at redhat.com
Wed Nov 30 15:05:00 UTC 2016

On 30/11/16 15:30, Callum Guy wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I can confirm that using FreeOTP resolves the problem for me.
>
> What a frustration, I am surprised that Google wouldn't add support beyond
> SHA1 - perhaps a notice on the OTP documentation page would help others in
> this situation.
>
> Thank you so much for your assistance and links to explain the situation. I
> hope to pay back the favour in due course.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Callum

I'm glad I could help. I was very surprised that Google Authenticator is
missing this and even worse don't error out about it. At first I was
convinced that FreeOTP and FreeIPA has some shared bug and generates the
codes in wrong way.

I've added a paragraph to Troubleshooting page [1]. Could you please
send me a link to the page where you were trying to find information at
first? I would like to add a note and link there so other users with the
same issue have it easier.

[1]
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Troubleshooting#Cannot_authenticate_user_with_OTP_with_Google_Authenticator

--