[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA as domain controller?

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Mon Oct 17 10:03:31 UTC 2016

Sorry if this is a frequently asked question, but it's not easy to find
a simple answer.

* Can I use FreeIPA (v4) as a domain controller for Windows machines to
join?

* If not, what's the recommended free/open solution? Would it be to set
up a Samba4 domain controller, and then set up cross-realm trust between
FreeIPA and Samba4?

(That is: assuming I want central AAA for both Linux boxes and Windows
boxes)

Things I found:

* http://www.freeipa.org/page/About

... but it only mentions FreeIPA v2 and v3

*
https://sambaxp.org/archive_data/SambaXP2016-SLIDES/thu/track2/sambaxp2016-thu-track2-Alexander_Bokovoy-Andreas_Schneider-SambaAndFreeIPAAnUpdateOnActiveDirectoryIntegration.pdf

... report on work-in-progress. It does say:

" FreeIPA Domain Controller is unlike Samba AD → Windows cannot be
joined to FreeIPA".  But it's not clear if this is an eventual goal, or
whether it's likely to remain this way.

I guess keeping a lot of MS-specific nonsense out of FreeIPA is a good
thing :-)

Thanks,

Brian.