[Freeipa-users] Renew / Replace third-party certificate for IPA Servers(primary and replica)

Florence Blanc-Renaud flo at redhat.com
Wed Oct 19 15:49:57 UTC 2016

On 10/19/2016 05:23 PM, beeth beeth wrote:
> I once asked about Install IPA servers with certificate provided by
> third-party like
> Verisign(https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2016-September/msg00440.html
> <https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2016-September/msg00440.html>).
> Florence, Rob and Jakub from Redhat had been very helpful, and pointed
> out the solution at
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Linux_Domain_Identity_Authentication_and_Policy_Guide/install-server.html#install-server-without-ca
> <https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Linux_Domain_Identity_Authentication_and_Policy_Guide/install-server.html#install-server-without-ca>,
> about "Installing Without a CA", and it worked great!
>
> Now it came up another problem, is that the Verisign(or any other
> certificate) will expire in a year or two, how can I smoothly renew the
> Verisign certificate on the primary and replica IPA servers a year from
> now? Or if we decide to use another provider, say Godaddy certificate,
> how can I replace the existing certificate on both IPA servers? I found
> a relevant instruction at
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html-single/Linux_Domain_Identity_Authentication_and_Policy_Guide/index.html#auto-cert-renewal
> <https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html-single/Linux_Domain_Identity_Authentication_and_Policy_Guide/index.html#auto-cert-renewal>,
> but that's about the "Dogtag" CA certificate, not about the third-party
> certificate I am using in our upcoming production environment(running
> IPA 4.2 on RHEL7).

Hi,

if you plan to use another CA (for instance switch from Verisign to
Godaddy), you will need first to install the new CA certificate with
ipa-cacert-manage install and ipa-certupdate. The instructions are in
30.4 Manual CA Certificate Installation [1].

Then, if you want to change the HTTP and LDAP certificates for your
server, you can use the ipa-server-certinstall utility [2].

[1]
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html-single/Linux_Domain_Identity_Authentication_and_Policy_Guide/index.html#manual-cert-install

[2]
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html-single/Linux_Domain_Identity_Authentication_and_Policy_Guide/index.html#Configuring_Certificates_and_Certificate_Authorities

Hope this helps,
Flo.