[Freeipa-users] Do expired passwords remain usable indefinitely?

David Kupka dkupka at redhat.com
Mon Oct 24 12:13:31 UTC 2016

On 21/10/16 15:17, Brian Candler wrote:
> Question: when a password expires, does it remain in a usable state in
> the database indefinitely? For example, if someone comes along a year
> after their password has expired, can they still login once with that
> password?
>
> This is actually what I want, but I just want to confirm there's not
> some sort of secondary threshold which means that an expired password is
> not usable X days after it has expired.  Or, if there is such a
> secondary threshold, where I can find it.
>
> The scenario is a RADIUS server for wifi which reads NTLM password
> hashes out of the database to authenticate - this continues to work
> after expiry. However I want users to be able to do a self-reset later
> if and when they want to.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian.

Hello Brian!

AFAIK, it will work. Your RADIUS server will retrieve the hash from LDAP
and do the validation locally. So FreeIPA has no way to say the password
is expired.
When the user tries to obtain Kerberos ticket he will be forced to
change the password and NTLM hash will be also regenerated.

--
David Kupka