[Freeipa-users] ipa-replica-install fails because of IPv6?

Jochen Demmer jochen at winteltosh.de
Wed Oct 26 12:28:10 UTC 2016

Hi,

I've been running and using a single FreeIPA server successfully, i.e.:
Fedora 24
freeipa-server-4.3.2-2.fc24.x86_64
This server is only available via IPv6, because I can't get public lPv4
addresses no more.

Now I want to setup a FreeIPA replica at another site also running IPv6,
Fedora 24 and freeipa-server-4.3.2-2.fc24.x86_64
First I run "ipa-client-install" which succeeds without an error.
When I invoke "ipa-replica-install" I get this error:
ipa         : ERROR    Could not resolve hostname *hostname.mydoma.in*
using DNS. Clients may not function properly. Please check your DNS
setup. (Note that this check queries IPA DNS directly and ignores
/etc/hosts.)
LOG:
2016-10-26T12:14:39Z DEBUG Search DNS server *hostname.mydoma.in*
(['2a01:f11:1:1::1', '2a01:f11:1:1::1', '2a01:f11:1:1::1']) for
*hostname.mydoma.in*

*hostname.mydoma.in* is actually the DNS entry for the old FreeIPA
server, which actually resolves, but only to an IPv6 address of course.
I can continue the installation though by entering "yes".

I then get asked:
Enter the IP address to use, or press Enter to finish.
Please provide the IP address to be used for this host name:

When I enter the IPv6 address of the new replica host it doesn't accept
but infinitely asks this question instead.

Honestly, I can't see what I might have done wrong.
Old FreeIPA has hostname is in sync forward and reverse record.
New FreeIPA host as well has hostname that symmetrically resolves, even
though the hostname is using another second level domain.

Any hints?
Jochen Demmer