[Freeipa-users] Samba Server setup

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Thu Sep 15 18:06:06 UTC 2016

On Thu, 15 Sep 2016, Brook, Andy [CRI] wrote:
>All,
>  I’m working on setting up Samba to serve files from a server attached
>  to our IPA domain. I followed the directions in
>  https://www.freeipa.org/page/Howto/Integrating_a_Samba_File_Server_With_IPA.
>  Everything seems to work and I can access the files from another RHEL
>  server attached to the same domain using a Kerberos ticket from a
>  user from the trusted AD domain. However, I can’t access this share
>  from a windows client that is also attached to the trusted AD domain.
>
>My smb.conf is as follows:
>[global]
>        workgroup = IPA
>        realm = IPA.DOMAIN
>        kerberos method = dedicated keytab
>        dedicated keytab file = FILE:/etc/samba/samba.keytab
>        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>        log level = 3
>        security = ads
>        load printers = no
>        disable spoolss = yes
>        map to guest = Never
>        restrict anonymous = 2
>
>[spacetest]
>        path = /var/www
>        writable = yes
>        browsable = yes
>
>I put the keytab in place from the cifs service from the IPA server.
>
>I feel like I’m missing something small, but I can’t seem to find it.
>Logs from samba are here: http://pastebin.com/aMDXfR78
These logs show that your Windows client did not use Kerberos but tried
to authenticate with password using NTLMSSP. This is not supported yet,
as written on the page you used for the setup guidance.

You need to find out why Windows client didn't use Kerberos.
Is your trust to AD really working?

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy