[Freeipa-users] key + 2FA (password+OTP) is not working

Sumit Bose sbose at redhat.com
Thu Sep 22 08:45:34 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 08:17:21AM +0000, Deepak Dimri wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I am trying hard to get my 2FA working with FreeIPA but every effort of mine going waste! I have referred earlier forum emails but could not find any good reply on the issue i am facing.
>

> This is what i am trying
>

> I have a test user created in my IPA server enabled with Two factor authentication (password + OTP) and has ssh public key added in its profile.  I want this test user to ssh into my ipa client (ubuntu 14.04) using  key + password + OTP. I woudl ceryainly prefer just the key+  OTP only ( no password) but that seems far sighted as i cannot even make it work with what it supposed to work password + OTP.
>

> My /etc/ssh/sshd_conf file has almost everything default  except i added these two lines at the end of it
>
> Match Group testusergroup
>
>    AuthenticationMethods publickey,password:pam publickey,keyboard-interactive:pam
>
> i also tried with below but no luck
>
> Match Group testusergroup
>
>  AuthenticationMethods publickey,keyboard-interactive
>

> my /etc/pam.d/sshd has these two changes, rest i kept default:
>

> # Standard Un*x authentication.
>
> #@include common-auth
>

> auth required pam_sss.so
>

> Now when i try to ssh into ipa client i either keep getting promptS for the password or it gets into a loop asking me to change the password ;complaining falsely that it has expired. I have tried multiple combinations of configurations by referring earlier email threads but none i found helpful. I cant make simple 2FA login to work with freeIPA. Normal password and key works just fine. its the 2FA which does not work for me.
>

> Would really be thankful if some one can help me with this issue.. is there any good freeIPA 2FA configuration document that i can refer?

Please add debug_level=10 to the [pam] and [domain/...] section of
sssd.conf, restart SSSD, re-run the authentication and send the
generated debug logs together with your sssd.conf and the full
/etc/pam.d/sshd. Please see
https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/Troubleshooting for details.

> What should the steps for it work seamlessly?

In general it should work out of the box with SSSD's ipa provider.

bye,
Sumit