[Freeipa-users] sssd.conf - the server and host-client relationship

Lukas Slebodnik lslebodn at redhat.com
Thu Sep 22 12:15:46 UTC 2016

On (22/09/16 08:53), Lachlan Musicman wrote:
>My translations of your comments are in line, if you could correct, I'd
>appreciate that.
>
>On 20 September 2016 at 17:11, Lukas Slebodnik <lslebodn at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> >----------------------
>> >[domain/unixdev.etc]
>> >ignore_group_members = True
>> It was probably set as a result of performance tuning.
>>
>> >ldap_purge_cache_timeout = 0
>> That's default since 1.13.0
>>
>> >subdomain_inherit = ignore_group_members, ldap_purge_cache_timeout
>> that's specific option for sssd on IPA server
>>

>I presume your comment suggests ignore_group_members is no longer needed,
>and since the lpct=0 is now default, then subdomain_inherit is also
>superfluous?

I have no idea why the option ignore_group_members was set.
My assumption is that you wanted to reduce loading data from IPA/AD
because they were many members in groups and it was slow.

>> >selinux_provider = none
>> It was probably set as a workaround of bug which have been already
>> fixed.
>>

>We set this because of an error in libsemanage, but I think that was an
>upstream (selinux) issue?
>https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2016-July/msg00244.html
>
>Not sure if I should disable just yet - was this fixed?
It should be fixed if not file a bug.

>> >ipa_server_mode = True
>> that's specific option for sssd on IPA server
>>

>I take it that this means it's still used.

yes, but it is used only on in sssd which is on IPA server.

>> >sudo_provider = ldap
>> >ldap_uri = ldap://vmdv-linuxidm1.unixdev.petermac.org.au
>> >ldap_sudo_search_base = or=sudoers,dc=unixdev,dc=petermac,dc=org,dc=au
>> >ldap_sasl_mech = GSSAPI
>> >ldap_sasl_authid = host/vmdv-linuxidm1.unixdev.petermac.org.au
>> >ldap_sasl_realm = UNIXDEV.PETERMAC.ORG.AU
>> >krb5_server = vmdv-linuxidm1.unixdev.petermac.org.au
>> Previous 7 options are not required since sssd-1.10
>>

>Yep, I added those because of disconnect between the different info sources
>made it hard to tell what was canonical, so I followed the red hat guide:
>
>https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/sssd-ldap-sudo.html
>
>mostly because I didn't quite understand the sssd-sudo man page (because
>sometimes I find man pages obtuse), but also there was an inconsistency
>with the local man page and the die.net mirror
>https://linux.die.net/man/5/sssd-sudo and this howto
>https://blog-rcritten.rhcloud.com/?p=52

The best is to check version of man page sssd-sudo on the machine
But as I wrote "sudo_provider = ldap" is not required for ipa client
since sssd-1.10 and most of current distributions has newer version
of sssd.

LS