[Freeipa-users] Fwd: Marking subdomain offline

mike at chinewalking.com mike at chinewalking.com
Thu Apr 6 19:39:16 UTC 2017

On 2017-04-06 20:18, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 06, 2017 at 07:21:01PM +0200, mike at chinewalking.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My IPA<->AD trust setup experiences intermittent failures during login
>> events. The AD subdomain goes in an inactive/offline state and users
>> logging
>> in are put into a 'delayed authentication' queue. Usually logging in
>> after a
>> minute or so succeeds as the subdomain is reset and the user is cached
>> for
>> following events. At all times getent/id and kinit's are succesfull,
>> even
>> with a purged sssd cache.
>> SRV records are correctly resolved, except for _kerberos-master.
>>
>> I have not been able to further troubleshoot the intermittent
>> failures.
>> Traffic captures show no strange behaviour, yet the sssd_domain log is
>> clearly showing AD to be unreachable at times. All AD servers are
>> W2012 and
>> DNS masking _ldap and _kerberos to single nodes, factoring out any
>> faulty
>> Windows configs, so far has not had any effect (Would it?).
>>
>> sssd's data_provider_fo.c :> be_fo_reset_svc() calls fo_get_service(),
>> which
>> returns EOK. I'm not familiar yet with the variables at play, would
>> adding
>> debug statements here reveal faults that may cause this?
>
> Could you paste a bit more context? I think what would work is to trim
> the logs (truncate --size 0), then reproduce the issue and search for
> the first occurence of "NOT_WORKING" message from any of the fo_*
> functions.

After truncating the logs I noticed a comparable error that was fixed
earlier today. I created a number of existing groups (sudo, app, etc)
with low GIDs during initial deployment of IPA. One group caused issues
and I deleted it earlier on. Now another group triggered exactly the
same sequence of errors:

[{"CODE_FILE=src/providers/ipa/ipa_id.c",
36}{"CODE_FUNC=ipa_initgr_get_overrides_step"{"The group
name=sudo at unix.FOO.local,cn=groups,cn=unix.foo.local,cn=sysdb has no
UUID attribute objectSIDString, error!\n"
[{"CODE_FILE=src/providers/ipa/ipa_subdomains_id.c",
47}{"CODE_FUNC=ipa_id_get_groups_overrides_done", 42}{"IPA resolve user
groups overrides failed [22].\n"
[{"CODE_FUNC=be_mark_dom_offline", 29}{"Marking subdomain foo.local
offline\n"

With all these troublesome groups removed I have not been able to
reproduce the issues. I will further test with different users and
mapped groups. I guess the main fault was incorrect log handling.
Multiple logins caused overlooking the real error and only showed the
mentions of offline AD backends and subdomains.

I am not sure why these Posix groups had no objectSIDString while others
did.

Thank you,

Mike