[Freeipa-users] any tips or horror stories about automating dynamic enrollment and removal of IPA clients?

Gerald-Markus Zabos gmzgames.de at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 13 13:21:20 UTC 2017

Am Donnerstag, den 13.04.2017, 08:05 -0400 schrieb Chris Dagdigian:

> Right now I'm leaning towards Option #2 but would love to hear
> experiences regarding moderate-scale automatic enrollment and removal of
> clients!
>
> -Chris

Hi Chris,

we're facing a similar use case from day to day, but changed from AWS to
another cloud provider. Our use case works on both, so i am refering to
AWS.

We decided...

...to use SGE for our HPC infrastructure
...recycle network ranges for 100 static IP addresses + 100 static
hostnames
...to use scripts & cronjobs & ansible (depending on "qstat" and "qhost"
output) on the cluster head node to determine how many additional
cluster nodes have to be created as an additional reserve for
"What-if-we-need-more-nodes?" scenarios
...to create cluster nodes via ansible-playbook on AWS from a
pre-defined image, do software installation & configuration via
ansible-playbook, do the IPA domain join via ansible-playbook
("ipa-client-install --domain=<DOMAIN> --mkhomedir
--hostname=<FreeIPA-Client>.<DOMAIN> --ip-address=<FreeIPA-Client IP
address> -p <Join User> -w <Join User's password> --unattended")
...to destroy cluster nodes in two steps: 1) ansible-playbook
"ipa-client-install --uninstall", 2) ansible-playbook destroy cluster
node on AWS via API

(Right now, i am working on a bulk creation script of IPA users/groups
for expanding our single HPC cluster into several ones, whereas we have
the same set of users (~65-100) with differing suffix in the username
e.g. "it_ops01", "it_ops20", etc...)

We're using 2x IPA-Servers (ESXi VMs, 4GB RAM, 2 CPU) in replication
with another 2x IPA Servers (same dimensions) on our main physical
datacenter. Didn't see much impact on the IPA servers during
enrollment/removal of domain hosts. So far after three months of
operations, we had several "bad box" scenarios, all of them because of
problems with SGE. We solved these problems manually, by removing/adding
cluster nodes via SGE commands.

As you can see, i tend to [Option 1], since it does all the magic with
pre-defined software commands(sge, ansible, ipa cli), instead of jumping
around with additional scripts doing work, which can be done by
"built-in" commands. For us, this works best.

Regards,

Gerald
--
Gerald-Markus Zabos <gmzgames.de at googlemail.com>