[Freeipa-users] I think I lost my CA...

Florence Blanc-Renaud flo at redhat.com
Thu Apr 27 07:42:31 UTC 2017

On 04/26/2017 04:33 PM, Bret Wortman wrote:
> So I can see my certs using cert-find, but can't get details using
> cert-show or add new ones using cert-request.
>
>     # ipa cert-find
>     :
>     ------------------------------
>     Number of entries returned 385
>     ------------------------------
>     # ipa cert-show 895
>     ipa: ERROR: Certificate operation cannot be completed: Unable to
>     communicate with CMS (503)
>     # ipa cert-show 1 (which does not exist)
>     ipa: ERROR: Certificate operation cannot be completed: Unable to
>     communicate with CMS (503)
>     # ipa cert-status 895
>     ipa: ERROR: Certificate operation cannot be completed: Unable to
>     communicate with CMS (503)
>     #
>
> Is this an IPV6 thing? Because ipactl shows everything green and
> certmonger is running.

Hi Bret,

the issue looks similar to https://pagure.io/freeipa/issue/6575 and
https://pagure.io/dogtagpki/issue/2570 which were IPv6 related. Note
that IPv6 must be enabled on the machine but IPA does not require an
IPv6 address to be configured (except for the loopback).

You can check the following:
- is PKI listening to port 8009 on IPv6 or IPv4 interface?
sudo netstat -tunpl | grep 8009
tcp6       0      0 127.0.0.1:8009          :::* LISTEN      10749/java

- /etc/pki/pki-tomcat/server.xml defines a redirection from port 8009 to
8443, and the "address" part is important:
     <Connector port="8009"
             protocol="AJP/1.3"
             redirectPort="8443"
             address="localhost" />

In the above example, it will be using localhost which can resolve
either to IPv4 or IPv6.

- /etc/hosts must define the loopback addresses with
127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4
localhost4.localdomain4
::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6
localhost6.localdomain6

HTH,
Flo.