[Freeipa-users] Needs help understand this timeout issue

Sullivan, Daniel [CRI] dsullivan2 at bsd.uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 1 13:15:44 UTC 2017

The  ldap_enumeration_search_timeout is for enumeration, this is for looking up all users, try using the ldap_opt_timeout and or ldap_opt_timeout for a single user lookup.  If a lookup is timing out you will definitely see it in your domain logs, it’s hard to miss.

I would take the time to familiarize yourself at a minimum with the following two articles:

https://jhrozek.wordpress.com/2015/08/19/performance-tuning-sssd-for-large-ipa-ad-trust-deployments/

https://jhrozek.wordpress.com/2015/03/11/anatomy-of-sssd-user-lookup/

Also, this is very good document to familiarize yourself with, it has a lot of very detailed and use information.

https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/InternalsDocs

My personal opinion based on experience is that if you are going to be leveraging sssd in a trusted AD setup, you should be prepared to take on performance tuning considerations and become intimately familiar with the internals of sssd, specifically how a lookup works, and how to tune sssd as well as 389ds.  You should know the difference between the mapped memory cache, the sysdb, how to use ldbsearch to inspect the cache, etc.  The learning curve is a little steep but once you get over it it’s not that bad.

Dan