[Freeipa-users] bind-dyndb-ldap, AXFR and DS records

Tomas Krizek tkrizek at redhat.com
Fri Feb 10 08:58:12 UTC 2017

On 02/10/2017 08:42 AM, Ben Roberts wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
>> I'm not sure how your DNS data are structured, but usually (properly)
>> DS record is located in parent zone, so AXFR for
>> subdomain.exmale.com should not return DS record, but AXFR
>> for example.com should return DS record of
>> subdomain.example.com.
> Herein lies the problem. The nameservers are authoritative for both
> the parent and child zones, and both are replicated from the primaries
> to the secondary nameserver. The DS glue records for the child zone
> contained within the parent zone are not being replicated across to
> the secondary via AXFR. Thus there is a complete chain for DNSSEC
> trust when queries are directed at the primaries, but not when queries
> are directed at the secondary nameserver.
>
> This affects both the DS glue records, and also the apex DS records
> which don't need to be present, but which bind-dyndb-ldap makes
> available automatically anyway. I raise this not because it's needed,
> but it might be relevant to identifying where the root cause is.
>
> Regards,
> Ben Roberts
If I understand you correctly, the primary server is filled with data
using bind-dyndb-ldap from an LDAP backend. Then the DS records are
present on the primary server. At this point, bind-dyndb-ldap's work
should be done, since it only serves as the backend LDAP driver for BIND.

The issue happens when you try to replicate the zone to the secondary
nameserver using AXFR. This leads me to believe that this might be some
issue in the BIND component itself. Perhaps some special configuration
is required.

It might help you if you'd test the setup without bind-dyndb-ldap with
some mock data directly in BIND. If the AXFR doesn't contain the DS
records then, it's related to BIND. Perhaps the BIND users
(bind-users at lists.isc.org) list might be able to assist you.

--
Tomas Krizek