[Freeipa-users] Dogtag certs did not auto-renew, very stuck!

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Wed Feb 22 18:26:29 UTC 2017

Peter Fern wrote:
> Okay, with much debugging and hoop-jumping, I can say that certmonger on
> Debian/Ubuntu is currently in a rather broken state, at least in a
> server role.
>
> It links against libcurl3-nss, however on Debian/-derivs there is no
> build of nss-pem, so anything built against libcurl3-nss cannot parse
> PEM formatted certs.  This results in a failure to process the IPA CA
> from the filesystem, causing the certmonger agent to fail verification
> of the server cert, producing the curl 'Error 77 connecting to<url>: Problem
> with the SSL CA cert (path? access rights?)' return, which makes it
> impossible to renew certificates, and resulted in wedging my deployment
> as described.
>
> Does the FreeIPA issue tracker accept distro-specific reports, or is
> there somewhere more appropriate I should be sending this?  As it
> stands, operating a CA on Debian/Ubuntu will break in painful and
> unexpected fashion, and should be avoided.

Very nice job in tracking this down.

You can certainly open a ticket against freeipa or certmonger but I
think this is more a packaging issue in Debian, et al (although granted
a very non-obvious one).

It's been many moons since I worked on nss-pem but from what I can tell
it should be buildable outside of NSS so can ship as a separate package.
You might try building it locally to see if it resolves the issues for
you. It resides at https://github.com/kdudka/nss-pem

I don't know who does the certmonger packaging, is that you Timo?

rob