[Freeipa-users] Can mount NFS, but user only gets the permission question marks

Brendan Kearney bpk678 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 12:51:35 UTC 2017

On 02/23/2017 07:32 AM, Kees Bakker wrote:
> On 22-02-17 17:33, Brendan Kearney wrote:

>>> (( I'm trying to catch up on the acronyms. TGT. Reading wikipedia now. ))

>>> I did create a principal for the NFS server (using ipa service-add) and
>>> add to the keytab on the NFS server (using ipa-getkeytab) ...
>>> root at srv1# klist -ke
>>> Keytab name: FILE:/etc/krb5.keytab
>>> KVNO Principal
>>> ---- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>      1 host/srv1.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM (aes256-cts-hmac-sha1-96)
>>>      1 host/srv1.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM (aes128-cts-hmac-sha1-96)
>>>      1 nfs/srv1.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM (aes256-cts-hmac-sha1-96)
>>>      1 nfs/srv1.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM (aes128-cts-hmac-sha1-96)
>>>
>>> Is this what you mean?
>> yes, if that is done, the server side components should be done for kerberos.  have you set things up in /etc/idmapd.conf so your domain, REALM, etc are setup?
> I don't think that a change of idmapd.conf (on the NFS server) is needed because all host
> names are FQDN and everything is in one and the same REALM.
NFS needs to know how to map a user object to an ID and groups.
identities established by kerberos do not directly translate to users.
usually some sort of directory services are leveraged in order to
accomplish this, though PAM and things like that can be used to.  by
setting things in idmapd.conf, you are telling NFS who to translate
kerberos identities into usernames, so ownership and permissions can be
sync'd.

>>> Sorry to ask, but how do I do that? On the client, I suppose, and by the user ??
>>>
>>> keesb at client1$ kinit nfs/srv1.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM
>>> Password for nfs/srv1.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM:
>>>
>>> But I don't have a password for that. Hmm.
>> there is no need to init on the client side, as long as the TGT is obtained.  you should never need to init the nfs/blah.. on the client side.
> OK
> So, it seems to me that all the basics are setup correctly. The mount succeeds. The user
> has a TGT and still the (non-root) user cannot even stat the mount point, nor the directory
> entry itself.
>
> What puzzles me is that root can see everything, also without a TGT.
the mount will succeed, but the user does not have access because NFS
does not know who the user it.  it has an unassociated ID established by
kerberos, but not a user.

added the thread back to the mailing list for the benefit of any who
search on the subject.