[Freeipa-users] manually apply patches from upstream

David Kupka dkupka at redhat.com
Fri Jan 20 07:06:07 UTC 2017

On 20/01/17 06:23, Jeff Clay wrote:
> I’m using Centos 7 and have installed 4.4.0-14, however I’m using Google Cloud and needing some updates that have already been made upstream at https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/5814 <https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/5814>
>
> I have downloaded the diffs from the 3 commits to the 4.4 branch. Searching my system for the proper directories, I found that many of the files (like replicainstall.py) can be found in a sub dir of of /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ while other parts can be found in /usr/sbin/
>
> I’m just wondering what is the best and proper way for me to apply those code changes?
>
> Thanks.

Hello Jeff,
modifying package-installed "binaries" or "libraries" on production
system is really bad idea. You may easily end up with system broken in
numerous ways.
Proper way is to get CentOS downstream git clone [1] add the desired
patches and build your own package.

[1] https://git.centos.org/commit/rpms!ipa.git

--
David Kupka