[Freeipa-users] What is the next free IP address for a DNS record

Martin Basti mbasti at redhat.com
Thu Mar 9 11:08:45 UTC 2017

Comments inline

On 09.03.2017 11:12, Kees Bakker wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Is there an easy way to find out what the next free IP address is when adding a new
> DNS A record? The web interface sorts the records alphabetically on "Record name",
> even in-arpa zones. For the latter it would be more convenient to sort numerically.
No, it depends on your system. FreeIPA is not an authoritative source of
IP addresses, this is job for DHCP server or any network management system.

I don't think that we should sort numerically as DNS names works with
bytes, so ASCII sorting is better. Nothing prevents you to use
non-numeric domain with PTR RR type.

> Anyway, what methods are there to know what IP address to use when adding a new
> DNS record? Did I overlook something?
Usually when you are adding a new A record, you know for which host it
belongs, so you should use the IP address of the host.

> BTW. Right now I'm dumping the JSON with
>   ipa -vv dnsrecord-find mydomain --sizelimit=99999 --all --structured  2>&1 >/dev/null
> and a Python script to make a list sorted on ip address.

Martin