[Freeipa-users] Question about ipa user accounts and the compat container

Robert Johnson igorvt77 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 19:05:21 UTC 2017

Hello,

I am running into an odd issue haven't been able to find any information
through searching on this issue online.

Environment: We are currently have a IPA master running
ipa-server-4.4.0-14.el7_3.4.x86_64 on a RHEL 7.3 server.  We have a mix of
RHEL 6.8, RHEL 7.x and Solaris 10 clients. We also have a one way trust to
a windows domain.  Compatibility mode is enabled.

The issue I'm seeing is that when I delete an IPA domain user through the
web gui, the user account doesn't appear to be removed completely from the
system.  I verified via "ipa user-find" that the user is no longer in the
system.  I also checked via "ldapsearch" that the user account doesn't
exist in the "accounts" container.  However, when I look in the "users,
compat" container, that user still exists.

This is causing problems with my Solaris clients since they are pointing to
the compat tree so that we can login with the windows accounts on those
servers.  The Solaris client is still seeing the account as being valid and
is asking the user for a password on login which fails because the account
doesn't exist in the IPA domain anymore.

Do I need to remove the account from the ldap compat container manually or
is the IPA user delete command (through the gui and/or command line)
suppose to take care of this ?  Or is there is some sort of clean up
process that I have to wait for to occur before this account gets removed
from that container ?  If so, what is the time frame ?

Thank you

Rob