[Freeipa-users] IPA users can't log in to SDDM

Tyrell Jentink tyrell at jentink.net
Tue Mar 14 19:10:04 UTC 2017

I have users in an AD Domain, my FreeIPA server is set up with an
interforest trust, and users can log in using SSH or virtual terminals on
any system joined to the IPA domain, and I have Samba authenticating
against these users on another server... Things are good...

Until I try logging in to the Fedora 25 KDE Respin from the desktop manager
(SDDM), in which case it goes to a black screen, with an X as a cursor, but
nothing else... This is my first attempt at logging a remote user in
through the GUI, and KDE/SDDM is the default configuration on Fedora KDE
Respin, thus the combination in question... I haven't tried anything else.

Some diagnostics I have tried:

If I log in to a virtual terminal and run startx, then I get KDE,
regardless of the user.
If I log in to SDDM/KDE using a local user, then I get KDE.
If I log in to SDDM/KDE using an IPA user, I get the black screen...
   But, the audit and security logs show that the user successfully
authenticated. Dmesg shows the user getting authenticated successfully and
user contexts changing successfully.

So, I'm left assuming this is a problem with SDDM somewhere, but only with
remote users... And my logs aren't giving me any hints.

Any ideas? Any logs in particular that I should be looking at?