[Freeipa-users] IPA domain level is 1, so replica prepare fails (new installation)

David Kupka dkupka at redhat.com
Wed Mar 22 06:15:04 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 04:38:58AM +0000, Z D wrote:
> Hallo, I have a problem to prepare the replica.
>
> Environment:
>
> OS: Newly installed EL7.3
>
> IPA Server: Newly installed ipa-server 4.4.0
>
> The error:
>
> # ipa-replica-prepare <replica-fqdn>
> Replica creation using 'ipa-replica-prepare' to generate replica file
> is supported only in 0-level IPA domain.
> The current IPA domain level is 1 and thus the replica must
> be created by promoting an existing IPA client.
> To set up a replica use the following procedure:
>     1.) set up a client on the host using 'ipa-client-install'
>     2.) promote the client to replica running 'ipa-replica-install'
>         *without* replica file specified
> 'ipa-replica-prepare' is allowed only in domain level 0
> The ipa-replica-prepare command failed.
>
> Any explanation for this and possible resolution, thanks, Zarko

Hello Zarko,
as already described in the output you've posted ipa-replica-prepare is no
longer used when domain level is above 0. Since domain level 1 new replica is
first joined to FreeIPA domain as client using ipa-client-install and then
promoted to replica using ipa-replica-install.
You can find out more about Replica Promotion on design page [1].

[1] https://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Replica_Promotion

--
David Kupka