[Freeipa-users] SSSD dyndns_update on machine with multiple IP address

Martin Basti mbasti at redhat.com
Tue Mar 28 10:15:45 UTC 2017

On 03/27/2017 09:40 PM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 06:34:24PM +0200, David Goudet wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks to dyndns_update=True parameter, SSSD service on client machine updating host DNS entry in FreeIPA.
>> Everything is fine on machines which have only one IP adress on network interface.
>> I have problem with machines which have more that one IP address on network interface: if machine have two IP address, SSSD update host DNS entry with these two IP address.
>>
>> To reproduce the problem:
>> Host have -IP1- and i add -IP2-
>> ip addr add -IP2-/26 dev em1
>>
>> ip addr list:
>> em1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1496 qdisc mq state UP qlen 1000
>>      link/ether xxxx
>>      inet -IP1-/26 brd XXXX scope global em1
>>      inet -IP2-/26 scope global secondary em1
>>         valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
>>
>> DNS resolution (dig) before restarting sssd returns only -IP1-. After restarting sssd returns -IP1- & -IP2-
>>
>> In dyndns_update manpage, we have "The IP address of the IPA LDAP connection is used for the updates", what does it means? Is it IP address of the DNS server (used to update the DNS entry)? or is it IP address on client machine used during LDAP TCP bind (-IP1- in my case)?
>>
>> dyndns_update (boolean)
>>             Optional. This option tells SSSD to automatically update the DNS server built into FreeIPA v2 with the IP address of this client.
>>             The update is secured using GSS-TSIG. The IP address of the IPA LDAP connection is used for the updates, if it is not otherwise
>>             specified by using the “dyndns_iface” option.
>>
>> Is it normal behaviour that SSSD add in host DNS entry every IPs enabled on client machine?

IIRC we added this to support multiple interfaces (user can choose which
one to use) and to update both IPv6 (AAAA) and IPv4 (A) records.

IPA/SSSD cannot reliably determine which IP address to use, it is all or
none from interface. With the previous behavior users want to use
different/more addresses than the one which has been detected from LDAP
connection and it was not possible previously.

Do you have set  dyndns_iface in sssd.conf?

Martin