[Freeipa-users] Kerberos clients, service tickets, and client to KDC interaction

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Fri May 5 09:40:30 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-05-04 at 18:02 +0200, Christopher Lamb wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Is the following statement correct?
>
> "If a kerberos client (e.g. a FreeIPA client) holds a service ticket
> to a service principal in its credentials cache, it no longer needs
> to interact with the KDC to access the service (assuming the ticket
> is still valid). i.e. if a kerberos client is not caching service
> tickets, each interaction with the service principal will require
> getting a new ticket from the KDC."

Yes this statement is correct.

> Are there logs on my FreeIPA-Server I can use to track ticket
> requests from clients, and prove or disprove my statement above?

On each KDC you can check /var/log/krb5kdc.log which contains a log of
all requests received, if you have multiple IPa servers, you may need
to collect all server's logs to see a complete picture as a service may
request a ticket from any of the KDCs (although normally an ipa client
sticks to the same KDC via a locator plugin for libkrb5 and only falls
back to other KDCs if the preferred KDC is unreachable).

Simo.