[Freeipa-users] CA lost on migration

Marius Bjørnstad p.m.bjornstad at medisin.uio.no
Fri May 5 12:19:35 UTC 2017

Seems like it works now, almost perfectly.

I was able to get ipa-ca-install to run using an old replica package file (replica-info-xxx.gpg), by hacking the script to disable a check for existing CA, and by deleting things left over from the failed installation:
- Certs in /etc/httpd/alias and another location using:
certutil -d /etc/httpd/alias -D  "REALM_NAME IPA CA"
certutil -d /etc/httpd/alias -D  ipaCert

- The PKI instance: pkidestroy -s CA -i pki-tomcat
- Dogtag tracking requests: from the date of CA installation.

The command failed when trying to replicate to LDAP because the configuration files in /etc/ipa/default.conf. Step 26, migrating certificate profiles to LDAP stopped. I then edited /etc/ipa/default.conf so that ca_host points to the current host (this was pointing to the old CA host). This made the installation script significantly faster, and it completed all 30 steps. It did however produce an error about "subject public key info mismatch" for the cert named "REALM_NAME IPA CA". (REALM_NAME is the name of the domain in all caps).

Then most things worked, even: # ipa-cacert-manage renew

Couldn't join new clients, as it was downloading the old CA cert from LDAP (I had just renewed it). I updated the CA cert in LDAP under "REALM, etc, ipa, certificates, REALM IPA CA" by deleting it and calling certstore.put_ca_cert_nss in a similar way that was done in /usr/lb/python2.7/site-packages/ipaserver/install/ca.py. (when I tried to update the cert, not delete if first, I got Subject public key mismatch error, exactly same as after the CA installation!)

I could then successfully enroll the other server as clients, then promoted one to a master, then installed the CA on that one too. The CA installation completed, but step 15 "Failed to restart the dogtag instance". I don't think it looks good that my primary master only has "managed suffixes" = domain, and the secondary one has domain and ca, in the Web UI, but I will leave it. Everything works well now.

I realise that FreeIPA is a complex piece of software, which has been developed intensely over the last years, but I really hope that going forward it could become more stable, and that upgrading to the next RHEL version from 7 will be less of a nightmare.

Marius