[Freeipa-users] ubuntu 16.04 freeipa-client + sssd + sudo: "policy plugin returns 0"

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Fri May 5 13:33:09 UTC 2017

On 03/05/2017 15:05, Brian Candler wrote:
> It turns out we had another 16.04 machine which was working fine. But
> as soon as I updated its sudo from 1.8.16-0ubuntu1.2 to
> 1.8.16-0ubuntu1.3, it stopped working too.
>
> So it looks like I have a reproducing case for this and I can
> investigate further

FYI, I finally got to the bottom of this issue.

(1) The groups referred to in the sudo rule had been created as
non-posix groups in FreeIPA

(2) It seems that the old sudo in Ubuntu wasn't checking groups at all,
and the new one did.  But it could not see non-posix groups.

(3) I solved the problem by adding "objectClass: posixgroup" and
"gidNumber: NNNNNN" to the groups.

More details at:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sudo/+bug/1688034/comments/4

Aside: I discovered that the way to debug the sudoers plugin is like this:

Debug sudo /var/log/sudo-debug all at info
Debug sudoers.so /var/log/sudoers-debug all at info

(I had originally missed off the ".so" suffix)

It's a bit frightening that sudo+sssd was not enforcing policies
correctly, for who knows how long.

Regards,

Brian.