[Freeipa-users] Authenticate on GNOME display manager with freeipa

tuxderlinuxfuchs77 at gmail.com tuxderlinuxfuchs77 at gmail.com
Tue May 9 21:12:13 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

I set up my freeIPA instance and it works very well for my client
computers (Ubuntu Desktop 16.04.2 LTS), I can login via SSH using a
freeIPA managed user account.

My own HBAC rule also works for that. I disabled the "allow all" rule
and created my own one. Works fine for SSH.

But I cannot login to the GNOME 3 Desktop on the client. I used the
netinstall ISO image of Ubuntu. During installation, I have chose
"Ubuntu GNOME Desktop" as the only desktop.

So my display manager is gdm3.

I added the "gdm" and "gdm-password" services to my HBAC rule. To be on
the safe side, I rebooted the client machine. But I still can't login to
the GNOME Desktop with an account that can login via SSH.

So the services in my rule are

login, gdm, gdm-password

If you need any logs or other information, I will provide them.

Thanks in advance!