[Freeipa-users] Freeipa and limiting access by group (memberOf)

Janet Houser houser at nso.edu
Tue May 16 13:56:38 UTC 2017

Hi Folks,

Last week I deployed freeipa on a CentOS7 VM.   The installation went
very smoothly using:

     yum install ipa-server

and

     ipa-server-install

My issue is with connecting a CentOS 7 client.  On my client, I yum
installed  ipa-client and ipa-admintools.
I than ran  "ipa-client-install"  and answered the setup questions (very
easy and smooth).

The "getent passwd" command didn't return any users, but the "getent
passwd jdoe" does give the information
for the user.   I found in the archives that I can set "enumerate=True"
so I get a complete user listing.   That
seems to be working, and I was able to login with the account "jdoe"
(brilliant!).

Problem 1:
========

I created a user group on the ipa server  with the following attributes:

    name = xyx,  gid = 1000

I changed the user "jdoe" to have gid = 1000, but when I ssh into the
ipa client, I get the following message after
logging in:

/usr/bin/id: cannot find name for group ID 1000

A "getent group" command does list the group:     xyz:*:1000:

A "groups" command issued by the user shows:   xyz

files created by the user show the correct ownership and group.

Problem 2:
=======

I've been looking through the freeipa groups and literature and I can't
figure out how to limit user login access to
an ipa client by a memberOf group.

When I was using CentOS 6 and 7 I could use the nslcd.conf file to put
in a group filter like:

passwd
(&(objectClass=posixAccount)(memberOf=CN=test,OU=Groups,DC=abc,DC=xyx,DC=edu))

I tried changing the access_provider to simple and using the
"simply_allow_groups = test", but that didn't work.
However, using "access_provider = ipa" and "filter_users" did allow me
to filter out a user from the "getent passwd" command.

I tried changing the access_provider to ldap and using the filter
"ldap_access_filter = memberOf=cn=test=OU=Groups,DC=abc,DC=xyx,DC=edu
but that failed too.

I'd appreciate any suggestions

Thanks,

- signed an "ipa newbie"