IM project progress

Atul Aggarwal searchatul at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 06:27:09 UTC 2009

1. timestamp extension to libtorrent has been done. This includes adding
timestamp to each file and saving it in the torrent file and reading and
displaying the timestamp by dump_torrent example.  (Adding timestamp is done
by adding information to info dict in the torrent file).

2. As discussed on irc, we also need another extension in libtorrent which
can handle links. As I have found, there is no mean to determine hard link
and only link which we can handle is symbolic links. I suggest we add
attribute "l" to symbolic link and make our imbackend smart enough to handle
symbolic links. (libtorrent svn repository already has attribute field
defined and hence only symbolic link needs to be added to it). I don't see
much use to add functionality in torrent to handle symbolic link (any
ideas?). However, we need to explicitly check for security concern while
making imbackend smart for handling symbolic links.
So two diffeent approached can be:
a. When a user click on file(symbolic link) in the browser, torrent client
determine the file is symbolic link and downloads the actual file associated
with the link and serves the file.
b. When a user clink on file (link) in browser, torrent client downloads the
symbolic file and imbackend sees the files as symbolic link and determine
whether the actual file is present in the disk (if yes, serve the actual
file) otherwise asks the torrent client to download actual file.
So according to me, it makes sense for imbackend to handle links.
In other optimization, we may include the link in the torrent file and hence
can avoid the download of symbolic link file.

Any ideas/suggestions?

--
Regards,

Atul Aggarwal