Project Startup

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Sat May 16 22:00:45 UTC 2009

On 05/16/2009 04:19 PM, Atul Aggarwal wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I would like to discuss the strategy for the development of IM. As the
> community bonding period is about to finish, i would like to start the
> development asap. Also, if there is some requirements to be finished
> like introduction to fedora community or etc, please let me know. I have
> not received any email from the organization admins, hence asking.

No need to introduce to the Fedora community.  Just go ahead with
development.

> What I am asking is should I start working on project completely or
> should it be done in Prototypes. By Prototypes I mean that glue things
> together and make it work initially and improving it in further stages.
> By project completely means, start on design specifications and work on
> the project. This is in reference to irc chat some time back. Or are
> there some other suggestions regarding the development model of IM.
> After the decision of the development model, a detailed timeline will be
> prepared so that I could stick to timeline for the development.

I suppose just go ahead with development however you think is the best
way forward.  On one hand there is limited time in SoC.  OTOH something
thrown together quickly is likely to need rewriting later.  Perhaps
delivering something that achieves the goals quickly should be the top
priority.  As the project takes shape we can better assess if redesign
or code cleanup is necessary.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com