LTSP 5 Local Media, GNOME Desktop and FUSE

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Fri Aug 8 23:48:16 UTC 2008

Alexandre Cavalcante Alencar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am playing a bit with LTSP 5 in Fedora 9 (with Fedora 9 client
> filesystem) and I have some suggestions to improvement or workaround
> about the local media access and user interaction thrught GNOME
> desktop.
>
> 1. When a user insert a USB removeable media on his thin client, it
> show up on GNOME desktop of every user logged on into the server. For
> a usability point of view, it should only be visible at owner desktop,
> not all users logged in the server.

This shouldn't be happening with one of our patches to gvfs, and indeed
I cannot reproduce this.  Can anybody else reproduce this?

> 2. The user cannot umount the USB removeable media available at his
> desktop before removing it and this can lead to corrupt files or
> media. For the UI, the media is alerdy showing at user desktop when
> the media should not be there anymore (it was unpluged from the user
> thin client).

This is really two issues.
* It is confusing that the unmount option in the GUI doesn't work.  I'm
told that it might be possible to wire this in but I have not had time
to explore how yet.
* You are hitting some other bug due to the previous issue on #1.

> 3.  If many users inserts a media that's recognized as /dev/sdb1 at
> thin client side, all icons at users desktop for all users media have
> the same name. This way, users cannot distinguish what's your media.

This again is a bug due to #1 above.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com