Release: ltsp-5.1.21 for Fedora 9

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon Aug 25 02:58:13 UTC 2008

http://togami.com/~k12linux-temporary/fedora/9/
I just pushed ltsp-5.1.21 and ldm-2.0.12 to my temporary repo.  It
should hit Fedora updates later this week.  This is likely going to be
the basis of the Fedora Live LTSP Server Beta2.  (I am still working on
the branding issue.)

This update contains many bug fixes and additional features over
ltsp-5.1.15 currently in Fedora 9 updates.

* NBI and ELF netboot (generally Etherboot) is now fully supported.
Images are generated automatically, and the new dhcpd.conf should
automatically serve the right image to a client.  You may need to
install your /opt/ltsp/i386 chroot fresh with ltsp-build-client and
update your /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf from ltsp-server to benefit from this
new support.
* NBD swap by default actually works now!  (Except it is disabled if the
server is running from a Live image in order to conserve memory.)
* John Ellson fixed a few bugs to get x86_64 clients installable and
working.  Still requires a bit manual configuration but it should work now.
* Old kernels and images are safely clenaed from the tftpboot directory
if they are no longer installed in the client chroots.
* (ADVANCED USERS: Most users don't really need this.)
NBD root is now supported as an option.  Default is still NFS root.
Update your dhcpd.conf to the latest version from ltsp-server.  It
contains example syntax to switch your clients from NFS root to NBD
root.  ltsp-update-image will generate a NBD root image from
/opt/ltsp/i386 and drop it into /opt/ltsp/images/i386.img.  Note: This
requires the patched mkinitrd also in the k12linux-temporary repo to be
installed in the client chroot.  This will go into Fedora 10 and Fedora
9 updates in a few weeks.  I really need to write documentation for this
on the Wiki.
* (ADVANCED USERS: Tech preview status)
Working Local Apps support, requires openssh-server-5.1 on the
ltsp-server side, available in Fedora updates-testing.  I will write up
some docs for this on the Wiki soon.

I tested all this pretty vigorously, but please let me know if you run
into any problems.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com