HTML version of README for Live USB

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Fri Aug 29 12:49:32 UTC 2008

Warren Togami wrote:
> Peter Scheie wrote:
>> I moved the directory with the first draft to make room for the second
>> draft. You'll find them both at  http://petre.homedns.org/f9-ltsp/
>> In the second draft, I reduced all the images to 8-bit color.  They
>> look a bit washed out, but I think are still quite readable.  Whereas
>> draft 1 was a total of 1228KB, draft2 is only 276KB!  Is that small
>> enough Warren?
>>
>> Peter
>
> Good choice to eliminate the background texture.  It really is
> irrelevant to convey to the user what actions are needed.  It also
> "debrands" the screenshot so it could refer to Fedora 9 or Fedora 10.
> (Although possibly it could be simplified further in Fedora 10 if the
> tools have improved.  For example I believe Dan Williams did some work
> to have NetworkManager support BRIDGE= syntax.  We need to check on this
> soon.)
>
> Title of the page still says "Live USB" which is not entirely accurate.

Doh!  Missed that one.  The top of the document says 'Fedora Live LTSP Server 9
Beta 1 README' while the title makes reference to K12Linux; should they both
perhaps say 'K12Linux Live Server README'?  Or is that name still up in the air?

> So, I did not expect you to cut size nearly this much.  Perhaps this was
> a little too much.  It looks good enough, except for the striping effect
> in the menus and drop-down boxes.  Please use your best judgement to
> find the right balance of look and size.

Agreed about the striping.  I actually wanted 16-bit color, but KolourPaint
doesn't offer that.  I also reduced the size of several of the images, instead
of just specifying their size in the HTML, which helped a bit, too.
Surprisingly, I think the shots of the full desktop came out looking best,
despite their arguable greater complexity color-wise.  I'll twiddle with them
some more this weekend.  Does anyone know of a command-line utility for reducing
an image from 24-bit to 16-bit color?

> Here is the plan how we will ship your new HTML-ized README.  It will be
> installed via its own package like ltsp-server-setupdoc.  All of the
> files will be dropped into a directory like
> /usr/share/ltsp-server-setupdoc/.  The reason it has its own package is
> because this does not belong in the ltsp upstream or within ltsp
> software packages.  This is a Fedora specific thing.
>
> I notice that the screenshots have the Beta 1 text file on the Desktop.
>    We will replace this with a .desktop launcher that runs firefox with
> file:///usr/share/ltsp-server-setupdoc/something.html as the parameter.
>  For your screenshot you can create .desktop launcher by right-clicking
> on the desktop and "Create Launcher..."  Please call it "README LTSP
> Server Setup".  The spaces are fine.  Try to find an icon that is
> already shipped in the Live image that would be appropriate for this
> launcher.  Send me the raw .desktop file after you have created it and
> chosen an icon so I can package it.

Will do.

Peter