Prototype: RHEL5 Server for LTSP5

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon Jul 21 20:34:18 UTC 2008

I got a basic thin client to work on a RHEL5 server.  Here are some
basic notes and instructions so people can give it a try.

https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/RHEL5Server
The permanent RHEL5 instructions will be here when I (or someone else?)
gets around to writing it.

Current Limitations
===================
1) The client chroot is Fedora 9.  Too many changes are necessary to
make RHEL5 work as a client.
2) ltsp-build-client cannot run on RHEL5 because it needs newer
libraries than what are available.  So I provide a pre-built Fedora 9
client chroot in a 155MB tarball.  See instructions below.
3) ltspfs (local storage devices) is broken.
4) Sound doesn't work.

#3 and #4 might be something simple, but I currently cannot prioritize
looking at it.  Let the list know if you REALLY need this.

Install Instructions
====================
1) Install ltsp-server
http://togami.com/~k12linux-temporary/rhel/5/
Yum repos.  All you really need is ltsp-server on your RHEL5 server, and
it will pull in everything else it needs as deps.

2) Configure the server exactly as described in
https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/InstallGuide with one exception.
Instead of ltsp-build-client, you must untar the client chroot.  I
provide the client chroot here:
http://people.redhat.com/wtogami/temp/fedora9-ltsp-chroot-20080721.tar.bz2

cd /opt/ltsp
tar xfvj FILENAME.tar.bz2
ltsp-update-sshkeys
ltsp-update-kernels

That's all!  Let me know if this works for you, or if you have any
patches to improve the broken parts.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com