LDM ' changing the default session'

Andrew Osborne amposborne at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 2 09:02:35 UTC 2008

Many thanks  Warren to the speedy reply.

I found this after Googling around:- I have installed KDE and this works.

In Fedora 9 there appears to be no GUI-based way of configuring this
(e.g., via 'System Settings'). Nevertheless, it is pretty easy.

You do need to become root to do it (e.g., 'sudo su').

The script:

/etc/X11/prefdm

is run at startup time; it looks for /etc/sysconfig/desktop and if
it exists, 'sources' it. It then checks to see if the DISPLAYMANAGER
variable is set and, if so, uses its value to try to determine which
display manager to use (expecting it to be one of: GNOME, KDE, WDM,
XDM). If this variable is not set, it tries to execute, in this order:

gdm
kdm
wdm
xdm

So the first of these that runs successfully is the one that will be
used, if the DISPLAYMANAGER variable is not set.

On my system /etc/sysconfig/desktop did not exist, so prefdm was
executing gdm. The solution, of course, is to create
/etc/sysconfig/desktop and simply put this line in it:

DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE

If the file exists, of course, just make sure DISPLAYMANAGER is set as
above.

(Reference:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/garnome-list/2002-September/msg00028.html

In my case this does not work as I am using Win4Lin VDS to dish out 2000/XP
desktops to a school system, I have installed the configuration with Fedora
8/LTSP 4.2 and Win4Lin VDS, in LDM i've been able to set the default
session.

I am at a lost to how I could set LDM to default to Win4Lin in
Fedora9/LTSP5/Win4Lin VDS?

the xsession for Win4Lin is mergepro.xsessions.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Andrew Osborne