Warren in meeting June 15th

RDP rogdepre at skynet.be
Thu Jun 12 09:30:47 UTC 2008

Consistency ends where real live begins.
Autoconfigure is a big step forward to make the X server more
intelligent and works out of the box in many cases.
Autodetecting dual screen graphic cards and configuring them
accordingly, is still not part of this intelligence, I'm afraid.
My example is another case, that will remain an exception for some time,
I guess.
OLPC Clients using the "AMD Geode LX" chipset.
Autoconfigure defaults to a resolution of 800x600, while I need
1280x1024 for the display. For a correct configuration Horizsync,
VertRefresh as well as the modeline for 1280x1024 have to be defined.
Moreover a temporarily option is required to switch off fast rendering,
due to a bug in the geode driver (Option        "EXANoComposite" "yes").

I have no view of what the impact of the inconsistency will be by making
configure-x.sh optional, but given the above examples, is there a way to
avoid it,while keeping the other clients autoconfigured?

K12linux production ready:
I'm running a test setup for 3 weeks now and haven't come across any
issues that can be related to ltsp or K12 functionality. I did a second
successful FC9  install on the same machine/different drive 4days ago.
Installing ltsp is as simple as: yum install -y ltsp*. The rest of the
configuration could be done by a simple script.
Today I will do another install on a different hardware. I also need to
get the sound working on the clients, which i consider a configuration
issue rather then a ltsp issue.
So, from my personal experience, I cannot think of any other issues
apart from the X config one.
Regards
Roger