changing LDM to GDM

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon Jun 16 01:41:41 UTC 2008

Bond, Darryl wrote:
>> Edit /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf and change SCREEN_07 to
> ">xdmcp".  This changes what the client does during boot.
>
> I didn't think that this allowed the local drives to work if you didn't use LDM. I had better test that assertion.

I believe you are correct.

>>>     * LDM does not allow you to save a default (KDE, etc)
>>>

>> This should be configurable with /etc/sysconfig/desktop but it does seem
>> to be broken at the moment.  (Strangely, I can't even get it to work
>> with GDM either.  The option itself might have broke.)
>
> /etc/sysconfig/desktop only configures which login manager you recieve when you use xdmcp. LDM must just use the last selected desktop??

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/ref-guide/ch-sysconfig.html
At least in the past there were two options in /etc/sysconfig/desktop.
One set the display manager and the other was the default desktop.  The
other option seems to no longer work for GDM.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com