xorg.conf and autodetection, resolution and keyboard layout

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Fri Jun 20 20:51:41 UTC 2008

Debian LTSP uses configure-x.sh which writes an xorg.conf before running X.

Fedora LTSP by default has no xorg.conf when the client runs, because we
rely on X autoconfiguration which works for the vast majority of
hardware.  This however means many of the XKB* layout related options
and X_* options for forcing a screen resolution do not work.

So I learned from ajax yesterday during FUDCon Boston 2008 something
that I did not previously realize.  xorg.conf with *only* screen
resolution or layout options will not prevent autodetection of
everything else (video driver mainly).

This means we could use a significantly streamlined configure-x.sh for
only a few options that people use.

On a related matter, I'm 50% done writing a script that can be run from
ldm's rc.d scripts that sets the keyboard layout without getting
xorg.conf involved.  By default in Fedora it would set the keyboard
layout from /etc/sysconfig/keyboard (which is copied from the server
during ltsp-build-client).  If the user attempts an lts.conf override
with XKB* options then it would use that instead.

So this is one less thing that we need would need in configure-x.sh.

Keep in mind though, that needing anything at all in xorg.conf is only
for the minority of users.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com