low fat clients

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Mar 31 00:20:45 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 02:45:32PM -0400, Warren Togami wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> LTSP5 is supposed to support low fat clients, e.g. simply diskless
>> workstations. I didn't find a direct reference in the LTSP docs, the
>> quote above is mostly from LTSP users/developers comparing to DRBL
>> features as well as a rather manual walkthrough on a UbuntuLTPS wiki
>> page.
>>
>> Do the bits in rawhide support low fat clients?
>>

> There are two answers to this...
>
> 1) Upstream was previously working on something called "local apps support"
> which allows you to boot LTSP thin clients over the network, login to the
> remote desktop, then run some applications on the clients themselves.  This
> might be desirable for multimedia applications for example.  I don't know
> the status of this, CC upstream.  It is not a priority for me to get this
> working until we fix the more basic problems for Fedora, but if you can get
> it working I'm happy to accept patches for upstream.  (As Fedora uses 100%
> upstream.)
>
> 2) It wouldn't take much to create a ltsp-build-client mode that avoids
> using ltsp-client-launch and instead runs gdm locally.  You could then
> network mount /home.  The hard part would be doing some kind of network
> based authentication (NIS?)  You might want this mode to use a different
> set of services (normal LTSP disables most of them).  You could implement
> this as a non-default /etc/ltsp/ltsp-build-client option.  I would be very
> interested to discuss implementation details and to review patches for this
> if you are willing to take point.

Yes, I'm interested in this part, but I should first get better
acquainted with the basic LTSP setup process and have a test
deployment. I switched a couple of systems to rawhide to be able to
play along and I first need to iron out some rawhide issues both
non-LTSP and some LTSP specific ones.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net