Print to printer connected to ltsp thin client

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Sun May 11 19:37:33 UTC 2008

As I can see on Ubuntu and Debian forums, jetpipe is very simple python
script, and at this time isn't capable initialize serial line printers.
I a week ago upgrade some system I manage to F9/LTSP 5 and must solve
printing to printers (paralell, serial and USB too) connected to thin
clients.
Thus I was build print server which was used in ltsp 4 - "lp_server"
from P.Powell.
After several days utilization, I must say this work without problems.
(On older versions K12LTSP I was using this program for more than four
years, and it works well, with small system footprint).

For easy integration lp_server to F9 I made:

- lp_server RPM package for F9/i386 lp_server-1.1.6-1.fc9.i386.rpm
available at
http://hanzlici.cz/packages/fedora/lp_server/lp_server-1.1.6-1.fc9.i386.rpm
(23kB)

- lp_server source RPM lp_server-1.1.6-1.fc9.src.rpm available at
http://hanzlici.cz/packages/fedora/lp_server/lp_server-1.1.6-1.fc9.src.rpm
(73 KB)

-  patch for ltsp-init-common script from ltsp-5.1.7, which replaces
jetpipe with lp-server: ltsp-init-common.patch.tgz available at
http://hanzlici.cz/packages/fedora/lp_server/ltsp-init-common.patch.tgz
Patch is against ltsp-5.1.7 package (1.2 kB)

RPM must be installed in thin client system, either by hand chrooting
to /opt/ltsp/i386 or adding to repo and adding it to RPM list
in ltsp-build-client.

In lts.conf is then possible use all
PRINTER_n_{DATABITS,DEBUG,DEVICE,FLOWCTRL,PARITY,SPEED,TYPE,WRITE_ONLY}
variables as in LTSP 4.
(patch adjust mismatch in nbd-client and nbdswapd communication
port as well)

I hope this may be useful for k12ltsp project.

Frantisek Hanzlik