LTSP 5 and Fedora 8 (DHCP on a different server)

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Fri May 16 19:57:43 UTC 2008

Alexandre Cavalcante Alencar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to test LTSP 5 on Fedora 8 (server) and I get all setup,
> my thin client boot up and show LDM screen, but when I inform my login
> and password, my screen turns black and come back to LDM again. If I
> change the session to Failsafe terminal, and login, it show me the
> xterm terminal.

I'm looking into possible causes of this failure.

1) /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts
Does this contain the IP address of your LTSP5 server?

2) /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/sbin/ltsp-client-launch
# Find tftp server
# XXX: option routers is not guaranteed to be the tftp server.  Need to
figure
#      out a better way to detect the tftp server address.
ROOTSERVER="$(cat /dev/.dhclient-eth0.leases |grep "routers" |awk
{'print $3'} |sed 's/;//')"

This runs late during the client bootup right before X in order to
figure out where to grab the lts.conf via tftp.  It seems that getting
ROOTSERVER from option routers is definitely wrong here because there is
no good reason that routers need be the same IP address as the LTSP
server.  It also falls apart entirely if you have multiple LTSP servers.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ltsp-upstream/ltsp/ltsp-trunk/revision/721
I checked in a fix that improves this aspect.  It might not fix your
bug, but it could use some testing anyway especially since you have
multiple LTSP servers.

http://togami.com/~k12linux-temporary/fedora/8/
http://togami.com/~k12linux-temporary/fedora/9/
I built test RPMS into the test repository.

There could be something else wrong.  Let's see if the two ideas above
help first.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com