very slow login times

rmcdaniel at indata.us rmcdaniel at indata.us
Thu Nov 6 17:19:36 UTC 2008

Here's the scoop this morning.  I have run all updates on the server and
rebuilt the client /opt/ltsp/i386 to make sure that I had all current
updates applied.  I am still seeing excessive bandwidth used on the
switch with just 1 thin client attached and booting off of the server.
To eliminate any network suspicion, I have a regular pc with XP running
off of the same switch in the lab.  When I access a youtube video with
the thin client, I max my switch port at 100% utilization with 100%
unicast packets.  When I access the same youtube video with the pc, the
switch utilization is very low 2%.  It seems like some great
inefficiencies in the networking protocols on the thin clients.  I can
load K12LTSP centos 5 and compare the results.  The only problem with
that is that there isn't any sound in flash...

Ron McDaniel
rmcdaniel at indata.us