Flash working with sound on f9 64bit server

Luis Montes monteslu at cox.net
Tue Nov 25 15:41:22 UTC 2008

Though I was able to get flash to work with nspluginwrapper on my 64bit
server, I was never actually able to get sound to work.

This morning I just gave the flash 64 bit beta a shot and it worked!

http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/

I removed both 32bit & 64bit nspluginwrappers as well at the 32bit flash
plugin itself.

Then I downloaded the 64bit plugin from the adobe site, then extracted
the libflashplayer.so into /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/
I made sure that the permissions for that binary are the same as the
other plugins.

Launched firefox and sound was working in flash, even youtube.

I realize that the best way to run firefox/flash would be as a localapp,
but my thin clients are way underpowered for that.

This whole time I thought adobe was ignoring the 64bit request, turns
out they were actually working on it :)

Now I can't think of a reason to run a 32 bit OS on the server if your
CPU has x86_64 chips.

Luis