diskless vs ltsp local apps

Odin Nøsen odin at gnuskole.no
Thu Oct 9 16:26:10 UTC 2008

> Network swap really sucks though, more so than local swap.  You really
> need more RAM to successfully use local apps I think.

I run this setup on a ESXi server at home, and the ldm client booted first with 128MB.

After I installed totem-gstreamer and totem-mozplugin I get this error when I start
Firefox (no errors during installation of totem-*):

"Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to
enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash.
See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Failed to get
connection to session: Failed to execute dbus-launch to autolaunch D-Bus session)"

Firefox continues to start - and I can surf all the pages I want, until I reach my test
page for playing movies in Firefox (www.nrk.no). This page now make the ldm client hang
for 2 seconds and then die horribly - it just turned it self off. I increased the memory
on the ldm client to 512MB, but there was no difference. If I "yum remove
totem-gstreamer totem-mozplugin" I get the same error and the same crash when I surf to
www.nrk.no.

Odin