volume settings don't persist after client reboot

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Oct 21 13:47:55 UTC 2008

Peter Scheie wrote:
> On my Dell Latitude thin clients, the sound volume is at maximum for the
> first person to login after the client is booted, which is startling &
> annoying (and probably frightening for small children).  Lowering the
> volume will persist after the user logs out and logs in again (and
> perhaps even if a different user logs in?  Can't remember now).  But
> once the client is rebooted, it goes back to maximum volume no matter
> who logs in.  I would have thought the volume setting would be stored in
> some Gnome file local to the user, no?  Further, it would be nice if
> root could set a default volume level for all the clients.  Any ideas?

+    [ -z "$VOLUME" ]           && VOLUME=100
+    [ -z "$HEADPHONE_VOLUME" ] && HEADPHONE_VOLUME=90
+    [ -z "$PCM_VOLUME" ]       && PCM_VOLUME=90
+    [ -z "$CD_VOLUME" ]        && CD_VOLUME=90
+    [ -z "$FRONT_VOLUME" ]     && FRONT_VOLUME=90

This is in the code.  These VOLUME settings are default if these options
are not otherwise set in lts.conf.

/var/lib/ltsp/i386/lts.conf

You may want to adjust only VOLUME, because the others are impossible to
adjust in the mixer on the client.

And no, user sessions do not save ALSA mixer settings.  That is handled
by the initscripts during startup and shutdown, but the file saved
during shutdown is lost completely since this is a diskless client.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com