local apps how-to

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 22:08:34 UTC 2008

This is a brief description how to enable local app support in Fedora 9 K12Linux
Note: you may not have to do steps 1 and 2 depending on how new your chroot is.

1)Delete the old client OS

   First make sure to umount /proc in the chroot
   chroot /opt/ltsp/i386
   umount /proc
   exit
   rm -rf /opt/ltsp/i386/*

2)Install new client OS
   ltsp-build-client

3)Install new software in chroot
   chroot /opt/ltsp/i386
   mount /proc
   yum install firefox
   exit

4) launch app as a local app
    /usr/bin/ltsp-localapps /usr/bin/firefox

If network apps don't work then you may need to setup nat in your
firewall on your external nic

You can also set this up with the gui program system-config-firewall

Note: I could not find flash-plugin with yum so I copied the file from
outside the chroot like this

cp  /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/opt/ltsp/i386/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

then I installed libflashsupport

yum install libflashsupport

Unfortunately,  I still could not get flash to work with sound. In
addition, launching firefox on a 1.4GHz Athlon with 256MB client with
a 100mbps connection takes over 30 seconds.

--
Robert Arkiletian